April 2021 Newsletter
On March 16, 2021, under the Biden Administration, the newly appointed United States Homeland Security Secretary, Alejandro N. Mayorkas, shared that single adults and families are continually being expelled under the title 42 Expulsions and Title 8 Inadmissible Aliens. However, unaccompanied children who are encountered by CBP are being processed for transfer to the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). Secretary Mayorkas described this process in his statement.
People always ask us why children and families seek refuge in the United States. To understand this, we have to look at the root of migration. We highly encourage you to continue learning about this issue and read the following articles.
The Refugee Children Center has signed up to offer support unaccompanied minors who will be sheltered at the Long Beach Convention with the following resources:
- Food/meal services
- Mental Health
- Legal services
- Language translation
- Health care
More than ever, we need your support to continue to do this work, please consider donating and sharing our newest fundraiser campaign. “Dejando Huella 2021, Virtual Walk” is only one week away!
If you would like to support unaccompanied minors who will be sheltered at the Long Beach Convention Center directly, this is what we know now:
- The city has agreed to support the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) with their work to temporarily house and quickly reconnect unaccompanied minors with family or a sponsor.
- This contract is in effect for 60 days with the option of an extension.
- This week, the city launched a website describing how you can help: http://longbeach.gov/pages/city-news/lb-humanitarian-family-reunification-efforts/
- To fill out the volunteer or donation form directly, please click: https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=wxE_MWhCak-NO8fmUBg-eMAAJN6uSOBIiQd9hIKPccVUNVpTRVJSTFIxTTlVOUFZODBZMFM0STBPQi4u
- For additional questions, please email: MigrantChildren@longbeach.gov
Mayra Medina-Núñez and the Refugee Children Center Team